Celsion Corporation (NASDAQ:CLSN)
Shares of Lawrenceville, NJ-based Celsion Corporation (NASDAQ:CLSN) are up over 36% in the first hour of trading. Volumes are extraordinarily heavy. CLSN shares closed Monday at $2.02 and gapped up to open this morning at $2.63 on the biotech company’s update regarding its Phase 1b dose escalating clinical trial (the OVATION Study) combining GEN-1, the Company’s IL-12 gene-mediated immunotherapy, with neoadjuvant chemotherapy for the treatment of newly-diagnosed patients with Stage III and IV ovarian cancer followed by interval debulking surgery.
Founded in 1982, Celsion Corporation develops and directed chemotherapy, DNA-mediated immunotherapy, and RNA based therapy products for the treatment of cancer. Celsion Corporation (NASDAQ:CLSN)’s lead product candidate, ThermoDox, is in Phase 3 clinical trials for primary liver cancer; and under Phase II clinical trials for recurrent chest wall breast cancer. Celsion Corporation (NASDAQ:CLSN) is also developing GEN-1, a DNA-based immunotherapeutic product for the localized treatment of ovarian and brain cancers.
According to Celsion Corporation (NASDAQ:CLSN)’s press release:
- Of the fourteen patients treated to date, two (2) patients demonstrated a complete response, ten (10) patients demonstrated a partial response and two (2) patients demonstrated stable disease, as measured by RECIST criteria. This translates to a 100% disease control rate (DCR) and an 86% objective response rate (ORR).
- Of the five patients treated in the highest dose cohort, there was a 100% objective response rate with one (1) complete response and four (4) partial responses.
- Fourteen patients had successful resections of their tumors, with nine (9) patients (64%) having an R0 resection, which indicates a margin-negative resection in which no gross or microscopic tumor remains in the tumor bed.
- Of the five patients treated at the highest dose cohort, all five patients (100%) experienced a R0 surgical resection.
- Of the seven patients who have received GEN-1 treatment over one year ago and are being followed, only one patient’s cancer has progressed after 11.7 months.
Celsion Corporation (NASDAQ:CLSN) is followed by three investment firms. Two analysts rate CLSN shares as a “Strong Buy” and one rates the shares as a “Hold”. Their consensus price target is over $15. CLSN shareholders have had their shares diluted every single year since 2012 when there were 550,000 shares outstanding. By 2016 that number had ballooned to 1.85 million. EPS losses have also been standard since 2012 when the company posted a loss of (-$48.11) per shares. In 2016 that loss shrank to (-$11.90).
I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours. All information, or data, is provided with no guarantees of accuracy.
Don’t miss out! Stay informed on $CLSN and receive breaking news on other hot stocks by signing up for our free newsletter!
About the author: Marc has a degree in economics and a MSc. in Finance. Over his 20-year career, Marc has worked for global investment firms in Europe and the United States as an analyst, fund manager, and consultant.